Writing about writing

     A handful of people have remarked to me at different times that I write acceptably well. Obviously, I dismiss it gratefully as their kindness while feeling good on the inside. To be honest, I like my writings too at times; and at some point in life, an idea germinated that said, I need to write a book. This time, I dismissed myself. Not very gratefully.

     There is no immediate intention of writing or even starting a book but there is surely a desire in me to keep writing. Or, more aptly, to start writing and to keep writing. The driving force behind this thought was the understanding from a few different materials that excellence is trained and not gained. Even a very talented person cannot rest purely on the said talent and has to keep working on it; improving on it. There are many quotes and stories of exemplary people to illustrate this. Edison's quotes on genius and perspiration, Bruce Lee's on the opponent that practices one move a thousand times, Jordan on failure and so on.

     Among the stories in the same vein, the one that stuck with me was how Picasso shocked a woman who happened to be in the same cafe as him, by quoting a price of $20,000 for something he drew on a napkin that she expressed an interest in buying. When she exclaimed that it took him only two minutes to draw, he smiled and said: "no madam, it took me 60 years to draw that."

     Brilliant!

    So clearly, it takes practice even for a genius. Concurrently, since I'm no Vonnegut, I need a hell of a lot more practice, if I have to make myself of capable of writing something that people would not mind reading. To be able to write something that people "like" to read is the next level.

     Right, so we established that I need to write. A lot. Regularly. OK. Please join me in welcoming conundrum into the situation. The said conundrum is: what do I write about? Oh, I don't know, maybe the best or the worst part of the day, maybe? Yeah, sure. I'll do a blog on that. Tried that, failed. Clearly, I've got to restart. Let us see how it goes. There's no shortage of stories in the universe. I just need to write.

Comments