Questions! - From a decade ago.

What is growth? What is the success? How is wealth measured? These are questions asked maybe for the ten millionth time worldwide, but I ask this since I do not have the answers. Going from a small house bustling with laughter and activities, flooded with emotions, to a huge vast house, which is empty, silent and limited to a few specific purposes; is that growth? Visiting the city’s largest mall and being recognised by the owner, being known to half the city, but being unable to help your daughter with her homework, being too busy to know that your wife craves for just half an hour alone with you, being too involved in work to have dinner at the proper time; is that success? There are so many stories where kids and relatives of multi-millionaires met with gruesome deaths for various reasons, and all their monies couldn’t do anything but accumulate interests in the world’s biggest banks. That money is wealth? I have been called a lunatic for these kinds of thoughts, and it has happened often, but somehow these questions never leave me. The purpose of life to me doesn’t seem just to live looking at a retirement with lots of luxuries; it seems to be for me, is to be amongst loved ones and to go to bed at night with a smile on the face; to wake up and see faces of loved ones till the last day. Even in death, being surrounded by people who are sad to see me go seems to have more sense than to have lived a life where people wait for my death – to rid me of my sufferings of an ailment or to have my belongings split equally – since I am, after all, a lunatic! ;)

Comments